September 21, 2005

Tender Moments


I was flipping through an old CD book when I stumbled upon a copy of the movie The Hench & I had to make for our "Short Works in Narrative Media" class. I thought everyone would enjoy some screen shots. The picture is HORRIBLE, but that's not entirely our fault. We shot it with a perfectly good video camera, but then had to put it on a computer using some antiquated video-computer transfer system in the Digital Services Lab in the library.




Temesgen starred as one of our protagonists roommates, and in this scene he notices something afoot outside his front door.






Here, a barely recognizeable & pixelated Baxter shadily drops a monkey off (from the Piece-an!).








Phillips immediately bonds with the Monkey upon discovering it wh
en he comes home from class. Before this shot there were a series of shots of him bonding with the monkey. Offering the monkey some Papa John's, offering to take the monkey skateboarding, playing basketball with the monkey. What you can't see in pictures, and possibly the most disturbing thing of all was the HORRIBLE techno music that Phillips insisted on playing while shooting the bonding scenes. It's the music that haunts my dreams.

After "roommates" Temesgen, Templeton, & Mike Casey (sigh), consistently hate on his new best monkey friend, Phillips forsakes them for the primate. I like this shot cause Mike Casey is totally cheesing in this picture.







Templeton decided to take matters into his own hands & get rid of the monkey, which Phillips didn't take well. Here he throws a glass of water on an unsuspecting Temp. This was not in the script, and if I remember, Temp was not happy about this improv. I later regretted taking out all the actual audio for the movie & doing voiceover (which I now understand is a lame move anyway) but only because after Phillips douses Temp with the water, Mike Casey exclaims "You're going crazy with that damn monkey...throwing water on people!" Thankfully I still have the master tape, though.



Temp helps Phillips cope with loss of Monkey.











Closing Credits. I think I actually made these things in MS Paint.





4 comments:

Hench said...

Wow, this brings back some memories. Or tender mo's, if you will..... what a great movie, if I do say so myself. Everybody did so good without any direction, not that the premise was that deep or anything, but as I recall the ad-libbing was pretty great.... I remember the techno music, could have done without that. Do you still have the monkey? And did we give that shirt to Phillips or steal it back for our own sick use?

Hench said...

Also, I wonder what the other denziens of Melrose Parkway were thinking as we were filming?

Carol Ann said...

I'm not really sure whatever happened to the monkey. I think he met a sad, lonely demise on the median on Melrose. Did I take him into custody or something? I don't remember. As for the lucky SAC shirt, I think he kept it. Otherwise I'm pretty sure we would have had it sent to some lab to scrounge up some sweat & hope to clone him for sure.

As for what other Melrose-crawlers thought, I'm betting they just didn't think anything. They were too drunk/high to care.

Leslie said...

Templeton was in a history of film class with me and made a really great movie about a burrito, which I was supposed to help with, but weineed out and watched television all day instead.

To think I could have had an A too, if I would have only drawn the damn ten commandments.