March 17, 2005

Sometimes there just aren't enough spoons

I found myself on some sort of odd vision quest at work today looking for a plastic spoon for my enchiladas. There are hundreds of plastic spoons available to use in the conference room on any given day except those days for meetings (when they are not for the general work public). My question is: what makes you worthy of the plastic spoon on a Monday but undeserving when other people of a higher salary bracket come around?

So the Bohemian challenged me about my thoughts on philosophy. The first thing that came to my mind about philosophy is A. that I don’t have one and B. it makes me sleepy (as proven by countless hours in that conundrum that was Intro To Philosophy 201.)

Being the deep minded researcher that I am, I went to the Oracle whose name (by the way is Google) to ask him about philosophy.

My first journey led me to the word existential. After that it was all down hill from there. A mind like mine can’t get a hold of such a big word and merely settle down with its definition. Why the heck are we here? What is the meaning of our existence?

On my philosophy crusade, I found that existentialism created the word angst. Angst defined by philosophers is the desire for what one fears; the immediate consequence of facing the possibility of nothingness; facing the absurdity of our acts and choices. Can the consequences of our acts mean nothingness?

Dave Chappelle show explained that by simply being Rick James and being on crack you could do anything you wanted. By merely virtue of being Rick James.

Last night on South Park, Cartman was rounding up all the hippies in an attempt to stop a jam band concert from coming. “You don’t understand, they are hippies-they will take over and talk about feelings and play music for weeks on end.” And the hippies just respond by saying, “Mellow out little dude.”

I think I am a jam band hippie or maybe we all are Rick James singing and slapping people as we please. That just maybe the meaning of my existence. I guess what I’m getting at here is that I don’t need Freud, or Kirkergaard, or Nietzche (God- did I spell any of those right?) to figure out who I am.

All I need is South Park, a Mt. Dew, and a spoon for my enchiladas.

How’s that for your philosophy.
Mood of the day: Full of sauce.

Looking back, I wish I would have taken philosophy class towards the end of my college career. It seems much practical to have a class that deals with people’s existential crisis when they are about to enter a time period in which everyday is a quest to find out who the hell they are.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Holy wacky lyrics Batman, I forgot:
The song of the day: Sexx Laws by Beck
snicker
L

Carol Ann said...

Midnight Vultures is another fantastic album. A good one to be on in the background when discussing philosophy. But speaking of Philosophy and song lyrics, Mr. Ben Folds once said:

"Go ahead you can laugh all you want,
I got my philosophy [keeps my feet on the ground], And I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy
keeps me walking when I'm falling down"

But NEwayz, thanks for bringing me back to my philosophy days. Though, I think I somehow talked the Hench into taking "Logic and Philosophy" instead of just the regular philosophy class and she cursed me many times over for it. The only thing I can remember from that class is the bug in a box thing. And how that one time, when we volunteered to go get Dr. Brenner after we did the evaluation thingy he sheepishly asked, "Did they all leave?" about the class and it made me so sad.

Hench said...

I really didn't like Logic and Philosophy (because everyone dislikes what they can't understand right?) but I loved Dr. Brenner. I don't remember the bug in a box thing, but I remember having to draw a cave or something on the final, and also that time (those times?) that Dr. Brenner wore mismatched shoes. Not socks, shoes. I don't remember going to get him after the evaluation, but your story makes me sad. Did they all leave, I can't remember? And what the hell was Freshman Friend doing in that class?

Carol Ann said...

The bug in a box thing was something about knowing a bug is in a box because you believe it to be true, or something, but I remember he had one of those little walnut-shell looking things and when you open it there was a little bug with dangly legs.

I too remember drawing a cave on the final. What it was about, I have no effing idea. I do know that we failed or nearly failed like every single quiz but somehow managaed to pass that class. I remember in the following years when we'd see Dr. Brenner wandering around BAL, he'd sort of smile at us. Cause' we're nice folks and all.

If memory serves, the whole class did NOT leave. Freshman Friend was in there I guess cause he thought he was deep. No idea.