October 26, 2005

Some of my fellow apartment dwellers and their assorted guests are so rude! Several times I have seen people come in from outside and let the door slam behind them, oblivious of the guy with his hands full of grocery bags or the UPS guy with a huge box struggling to get to the door. Please people! Make it a practice to glance behind you as you are coming to see if anybody is behind you. The UPS guy actually dropped his box trying in vain to grab the door before it slammed in his face. Everytime I see it happen, I get upset. I just can't abide rudeness. And, boy does it abound in stupid Northern Virginia.

Today, it happened to me, but in reverse, which kind of makes it worse. I was walking up to the door to go in and there was this lady holding the door for some dude with this really long skinny box. I thought that I would get there in time to hold the door for both of them and then scoot in, but she beat me to it. As I was two steps away from the door, she stepped out and let the door slam! What a bitch. We had made eye contact, so I know it was not accidental. I was dumbfounded, so I didn't get to say what I really wanted to say, which was, simply, "Thank you for holding the door for me, that was very thoughtful." Bitch! When I got off the elevator on my floor, I looked down at the car that they were loading their stupid box into, and said "I hope you crash your car, but don't hurt anyone but yourself." And I got a mental image of her with a broken leg. That is excessive, no? But I not-so-secretly hope it happens.

1 comment:

Carol Ann said...

That reminds me of this time I was visiting my friend Bern at her college. It was really cold and windy out, and they had these giant steel doors to get into her dorm. As I was going in, I saw out of the corner of my eye a guy turn the corner into the courtyard headed for the door.

Even though he was a good 20 yards away, I decided to be a good samaritan & wait to hold the door open so he wouldn't have to fumble with his ID card to get in the door. But instead of a simple "Thanks" when he got to the door, he looked at me like I just asked him to marry me.

Dude, you're not that irresistable.