October 17, 2005

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it to my sister...



My sister & I did some fall cleaning yesterday, and to reward ourselves, we took a trip to the furniture store to check out some occasional chairs. You see, we did get a rather lovely occasional chair at this very same store, but it was so lovely that our cats showed their appreciated by completely destroying the one arm. So yesterday we went hunting for a new chair. Furniture & home decor items are to us what shoes are to most ladies. Carrie Bradshaw has no problem spending $575 on a pair of Manolos, but I'd much rather spend that much on a comfy chair to take a nap in. So anyways....

We're wandering around the furniture store, testing out all sorts of chairs, but we ended up not being able to tear ourselves away from the chair that we already own. So we decided to get the same damn chair but in a less cattractive (get it? cat-tractive? attractive to cats? oh well.) fabric. As we were discussing this fact with our trusty salesman, Claude, there was a woman sitting on the couch in the "living room" that our chair happened to be situated in, and lo, she was purchasing our dear chair! Trying to be a good friendly citizen, I offered, "we have this chair, it's awesome!" And my sister added, "yeah, we like it so much, we're gonna buy it again, but in this fabric", holding up our carefully chosen swatch. Now, I admit, we have some fucked up taste. But in our defense, the fabric we ended up with was MUCH less offensive to the lay person than the one we orignally had our hearts set on. Like, if our fabric choices were punk rockers, the original choice was Sid Vicious. The one we took home was Billy Idol. Still kind of dangerous, but he can charm your mom if need be.

So this lady, instead of just politely nodding & continuing her conversation with her sales guy, spits out, "I wouldn't." What a whore! Right? But before I could express my disdain, my sister beat me to the punch. She said, "Yeah? Well it's a good thing this ain't goin in your house." The lady re-situated herself in a huff to turn away from us. Her salesman turned a very lovely shade of eggplant. Our salesman didn't do shit cause his ass still wanted to make the commission on our special-order occasional chair.

So yeah, no real lesson here. Except maybe don't be a hag to my sister, cause she's a tough cookie. This one time when I was a teenager I smarted off to her and she straight threw a meatloaf sandwich at my face.

On a happier note, a lady came into the radio station today to pick up a prize & I needed to get something from the reception area. While the receptionist was digging for her prize, this lady's kids were inspecting our magnetic in/out board, and asked me which one of those people were on the radio. So I answered that question, and about 12 other questions pertaining to the in/out board about color-coding & such. Then, as if it were the most natural question in the world, the boy (about 8 or 9) asks, "So, you have any microscopes?". I didn't really get into it with him, but I'm pretty sure he was doing that little kid thing where they wanna show off stuff they know, like knowing how to use a microscope. When I was little, I'd go around telling people the definition of photosynthesis. Which is, in case you're wondering, the process by which green plants use light energy to make food. For whatever reason, that sixth grade definition has stayed with me for 15 years. Enough!

1 comment:

Hench said...

Man that was one rude lady. I would never say that to somebody.... unless of course it just slipped out, but luckily I find it easy to keep my mouth from sayin what my head is thinking. But I usually have to blurt it out as soon as the coast is clear. Hey, does anybody know the origin of that phrase, the "coast is clear?" Hmm....