May 25, 2005

We Have the Technology

In this day of blogs leading to a murderer’s arrest, and, well, electronic friendships , it’s easy for techno-savvy gals like me (us) to forget the way things USED to be done. Like, actually remembering phone numbers, or, GASP!, physically writing someone a note.

I had a rather cute reality check yesterday when the elder statesman of the department I worked in, who has worked at this radio station for 30+ years, asked “If someone needs something e-mailed to them…how’s that work?” As if e-mailing required a Shaman and some mouse toe-nails.

It reminds me of the time I was working in the Student Activiites & Leadership office, typing up purchase orders on a typewriter, when James Toscano of WODU (and my Media Law & Policy class) fame, came to bullshit with me, and queried for all to hear, “WHO, in 2001, uses a TYPEWRITER!?!” with such disdain it would make Simon Cowell blush.

No comments: