May 25, 2005

Conspiracy Theory

In the months between February and April, I was receiving phone calls from an anonymous person. The number looked something akin to a calling card, for those of you that don’t recognize those-they say something like 123-456-7777, Nebraska. Some state where you have no relatives or friends and wonder who could possibly be calling you at such a time. These calls usually landed between 11:00 p.m. to as late as 2:00 a.m. with the person remaining on the line long enough to breath for a few minutes and listen to me fuss that they shouldn’t call if they couldn’t speak.

The odd thing was I’d always be the hanger upper. Mr (Ms) Anonymous would seemingly take whatever harsh reprimands I would dish out. In the time during the weird phone calls I started leaving house phone off the hook after 11. Whoever the calls were for; me or my room-mates - if they could not form conversation none of us needed to validate their efforts by answering phone.

Potential phone call theories emerged: a neighborhood stalker (wait this isn’t Wysteria lane), a wronged club guy, an estranged friend, a MIA father or even a crazy telemarketer. All of these became options.

It was making me paranoid to the extent that when I went running around my neighborhood I carried my mini pepper spray in pocket with piercing alarm key chain around neck. Which might not be in my best interest either, me falling on alarm and then spraying self in the face ALA Bridget Jones.

I doubt my phone person reads the blog now if ever, but my whole point is this if you are watching someone odds are they are/can watch you too.

1 comment:

Carol Ann said...

Yeah man, technology is wonderful!