January 10, 2005

I DID get my holiday haircut!

Sooo, I’m cheating on my hairdresser again. Years ago I was a more trusting person with my hair when a mutant beast of a hairdresser misunderstood my “vision” of my head and simply cut without asking. It was sort of like a car accident, before I knew what had happened, I was already in the ambulance bleeding to death.

Now I’ve become selective. I have a schpeal I have to go throw before I can get my hair cut. I explain of the horror of short hair. The tears that it brought and I also come with a hair protection unit. This usually consists of the two tallest friends I have dressed in leather regalia and of which I have specially requested not to smile at hairdresser. We are all business these days. I have age criteria. The hairdresser must be no more than 6 years older than me. Her hair on her head must look like something I would like to have done. She absolutely must smile once or twice whilst I am talking to her.

Enter Barbie. So we used to do ads for a hair salon at my old job that featured the hairdressers pictures. All of these chics have awesome hair in the paper and it’s even more awesome in person. I had wanted Amber, but as a walk-in you can’t really request the hair dresser you desire. I ended up with Barbie. Now in the years since the butchering, I’ve come to trust Barbie. I no longer bring an entourage. I know longer shiver in the chair when the scissors pass. However, she’s not really changing my hair. She’s not helping me evolve and I have this feeling if left untreated, I’ll be living in the 2000’s with a ‘90’s haircut.

By a chance visit, I went to the salon and Barbie was off. Amber stepped in and did a fabulous job. Style-wise it was just a few snips difference, but I came out the next day and got compliments left and right. I went in a few days ago hoping to get Amber, and Barbie was like “I’ll get her.” While in the chair, she says “Someone else has been cutting your hair??!”
“Yeah, while I was in Roanoke.” I lied.

Now, for my next appointment I want Amber, but Barbie is in the same salon. How does this work? Do I fire her? Do I sneak in and out like a cheating client? Help!

2 comments:

Carol Ann said...

When calling to make an appointment, can't you request Amber? That's how they do it in NEW JERSEY, anyway. Please, I totally understand your caution when it comes to hair. You'll remember I suffered along with you for the Captain ZigZag Incident of '99. In fact, it is BECAUSE of the Captain ZigZag Incident of '99 that I take a similar approach when going to get my hair cut. I do not crack a smile. I firmly impress the decree that no bangs or anything that could be remotely construed as a bang shall linger here.

Leslie said...

You would have thought that "Captain ZigZag's" beauty shop name alone woulda have turned me back in the first place wouldn't you? *Sigh.