March 23, 2007

PH LAW

I probably shouldn't even be writing this blog given corporate america's stand on blogs in general. I figure it's not about my actual job or tasks more or less, but about a grievance I must voice and will be taking a stand on next week at my job..(that is barring a cold front.)

My office has a "business/casual/formal" dress code in place year round. Which in a nutshell means - no jeans, no khakis, no cotton?? (wtf) and no capris. This was drafted during the late 80's during which corporate america had to go to war with biker shorts, spandex stirrups, and arsenals of neon bangles and hair accessories. Not to mention shoulder pads, animal print, and coolocs ( no idea how to spell that). Given that today's high climbed up to 86 it was no suprise to get to my desk to find this email in my mailbox.

"Ladies, in order to offer additional comfort, we “seasonally” suspend the Business Casual dress code to allow all who wish not to wear pantyhose or socks. The period of time that this is allowed is from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I am disappointed to see quite a few gals instituting this privilege now and not waiting until Memorial Day which is May 28th. Should it be necessary, please review the Company Dress Code which is always posted on our bulletin boards."

I don't like panty hose, but I will wear them if the event, fashion dictates it. Given that the planet is heating up year by year - is it unreasonable for the law to be broken slighty ahead of Memorial day? Norfolk has no true seasons, just a modge podge of mixed temperatures varying wildly week to week. Why should the new millenium ladies be punished for the sins of the 80's?

So next week, me and a few rebels are casting panty hose to the wind and heading off to work. Wish me luck humble OEF readers. If you can wear jeans - shout hell yeah into the night!
and check out this video from HBO's 6 Feet Under ------

4 comments:

Hench said...

God, this is why I hate corporations.....what the hell does it matter if you are not wearing pantyhose? And why the arbitrary date of Memorial Day? Did our soldiers go to war to protect the right to bare legs for the period of roughly three months?? Is that what we have been celebrating for the last 142 years?

And no cotton? WTF is right, could they BE any more un-American? We love cotton here!

Not bragging, but the only thing outlawed at my work is bikinis and sweatpants.....and I think we happier employees for it. Although I guess they can't justify asking us to wear nice clothes when they used to house us in century old buildings with mold and dust mites the size of small dogs.....

I hated how at my last job, we couldn't even wear jeans when we were flying into a conference. We always had to wear business clothes.

And what is with the use of the word "gal"? I'm no feminist, but seriously? That sounds kind of sexist.

Templeton said...

Wow, that dress code seriously needs updating. Where do you work again? Aren't you a designer? A happy employee is a good employee.

Hench said...

Although sometimes pantyhose can come in handy. Sometimes I think about wearing them to work under my jeans because it is always freezing in here.

I think its sad when a company spends millions of dollars on an unecessary new building and then can't afford to turn on the heat. My fingers are numb!

Leslie said...

I'm a designer....... trapped in sheeps clothing.
I think I'm the same designer in a power suit, that I am at night plogging away on my laptop working into the wee hours of the morning.

The cotton rule mystifies me. When i asked about it, the HR lady said something to the effect that cotton = khakis. It's vaguely supposed to reference the men's pants. I haven't studied the tags in mens' trousers or slacks in great detail. But I'm pretty sure none of them are wearing vinyls or plethoras.

The fashion police treat Memorial day as the official beginning of the "heat". Probably no relevance to our soldiers over seas efforts. (Although I can't imagine they'd be opposed to a bare legged iniative).