June 16, 2005

This just in...there's no hope!

For some reason I actually meandered around the ODU alumni website and found the "Class Notes" section where people brag about their fantastic lives; babies, jobs, marraige, colonoscopies. I came across one that made me laugh, and sort of want to cry too.

Obermark, Michael Posted: 3/15/2005 11:30:13 AM
Class of 2004

I never see a negative message about a career and I just thought Id be the first

I am currently working at a temp agency with no hope of ever getting a full time position, dispite carrying the load of several people and volunteering for extensive additional job functions.

I cant pay the rent on a postage stamp house in a very bad section of Norfolk. I have no benefits to speak of dispite having a serious illness, which continues to go undiagnosed because of my lack of time off or money to pay for better medical care.

Upon graduation from the Finance program I met three types of people, those who couldn't tell the difference between Finance and Accounting, those who could care less about the differences between Finance and Accounting, and those who felt a Finance degree was pretty much worthless and/or only applicable in the "Financial Sales" field. This has led me to instruct every individual I meet in the Finance program to get into Accounting before they end up like me.

I have no career, and dispite exhausting attempts to locate one, I continue to have no career. The potential of ever finding one in Hampton Roads is slim to none.

Just felt I should give the increasing swell of unemployed and underemployed alumnus a voice.

Thanks.


I feel for you Mike! The only advice I have for you is that it's "despite", not "dispite". Good luck.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I may not have chosen the most financially rewarding field, but I can say I have a job. Hampton Roads pays just slightly under the national median which I guess in the broad span of things means that this area for graphic designers is not so bad. Let me clarify: not so bad if you are willing to claw and fight your way into corporate america. I have friends who also chose finance-like majors ie: independent studies, music, and apparently some hybrid forms of IT. I guess my unsolicited nuggets of advice to old boy are these:
1. Keep in touch with your friend/classmates. They are best ally in finding job. It's not what you know but who you..err...keep in touch with.
2. In the beginning do not be afraid to settle for less. You gotta eat.
3. Sigh..next time don't pick boring finance as major.
4. Move.

Hench said...

Perhaps I am being cynical, but who do you think this girl slept with to get promoted so fast?

Class of 2003

I am a 2003 grad. with a BS in Communication.
I have been employeed with WAVY/WVBT TV since September, 2003 -- as an Associate Producer on the morning show.

As of October, 2004, however, I have been promoted to Producer of my own show --- the Saturday & Sunday morning broadcasts.

I enjoy my co-workers and employers... and despite the crazy hours, WAVY TV is a wonderful place to work.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it was Lasalle Blanks. Yep.