June 7, 2005

Rewind...

So I’ve listened to “Banquet” by Bloc Party and I feel satisfied after about 20 listens that I can move on to another song. I don’t know how I end up going through these phases where I hear a song I love and must play it til my ears bleed. A few years ago me and former co-worker extraordinaire Cattina listened to Jimmy Eat World’s rendition of “Last Christmas” (by Wham) about 50 times and the odd thing is during that particular day I only wanted to hear it again. Now I can’t sit through it at all. A similiar thing has happened to me with bologne and mcDonalds chicken nuggets. I haven't had a bologne sandwich since 1988.

Repeated listening can also make a person love a song that they don’t really like by merely planting it in their brain. Case in point for me: “I Don’t Wanna Be’ by Gavin Degraw. I hated this song because the point played it every five minutes. The opening lines grated my nerves to the point where I would change the station. Then suddenly on listen 188 or so, I really like the song..the lyrics the whole package. It’s odd how that works. “All I gotta do is thing of me and my piece of mind….lalala.”

1 comment:

Carol Ann said...

I heard Bloc Party on Sirius today and thought of you...I'm always obsessed with one song or another. The most recent was the Polyphonic Spree's cover of "Wig in a Box" from Hedwig & the Angry Inch. There's something about songs where many people are singing at once that get me.

As for Gavin Degraw, I'd heard that name a bazillion times, and those songs a bazillion times, but never knew they were connected. Then I saw some live show on Fox where people were performing their "hits" for some reason & this Gavin Degraw character was on there singing "I Don't Wanna Be"...I was mystified, however temporarily, I think it was the piano-playin'. I'm over it now.