December 8, 2005

The worst obit in history.


I know there will be a stock piece about this from every single news outlet in existence today, but since we've got a forum, here's my John Lennon schpiel. When I was six, my cousin Jeanette and I watched the movie "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" on average at least twice a day. I fully understand that this movie is HORRIBLE. But we were six. And we knew every single word to "Come Together", the way any given kid knows the Spongebob Squarepants theme. We didn't know the songs were about drugs and sex and disenfranchisement or whatever; I think we knew on some level that is understandable to six-year-olds, that this music came from a real place. That's all that counts. Also, Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees wore some pretty ridiculous costumes in the movie, so they probably got us a little there.

During my teenage years, as most people do, I decided that I knew everything that there was to know about anything, especially music. There was a solid two year period when all I would listen to was Beatles and John Lennon records. I read every book I could get my hands on about the Beatles, and when in 11th grade we got the chance to choose a historical figure we'd like to "impersonate" for a mock press-conference in front of the junior & senior classes, I decided I wanted to be John Lennon. My history teacher, Mr. Borneman, fought me tooth and nail on it, claiming John Lennon wasn't a historical figure. Bullhonky! I won. And no, I did not try to affect the accent.

I'm rambling for sure, but today, the 25th anniversary of his death, I just wanted to give an electronic shoutout to John. He is one solid person, besides members of my family, who I can truly say have made an impact on me, as far as any creative leanings I might have, or just how to be who I am. If for nothing else, there's this quote of his, which I used to have tacked up on my wall...

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"

And since I don't have a graceful or non-pithy way to end this business, I'll just encourage all 9 of you who may read this to listen to some Beatles and/or Lennon solo stuff today. Or don't. Either way, have a nice Thursday.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I watched Katie and Matt on the Today Show talk about where they were when John Lennon died. I was only 2 at the time and my mom's music tastes were somewhat varied between old school country and new age 80's. As a child I would up listening to alot of Merle Haggard, Air Supply, and Conway Twitty. I could tell you about Keith Whitley and Lorrie Morgan. What a treat to spend summers with teen cousin Tracy and rock out to Aerosmith and Tesla.

Your history teacher was full of bullhonky. All musicians are historical because they give people hope.

My favorie Beatles song is from "Me to You". It's how I feel about all the special peeps in my life - "if there's anything that you want, if there's anything I can do, just call on me and I'll send it along with love from me to you."

Leslie said...

I also have some trivia for you. I have limited John Lennon knowledge, so I come to you dear Gardler for consultation. My itunes puts Wyclef's "Gone til November" in my John Lennon playlist automatically.
Did John Lennon write Gone til November? Is he even assosciated with it or is this a fluke?

Help!
- confused in OHIO

Carol Ann said...

Dear OHIO,

Your iTunes is drunk. There is no connection I can ascertain.

Sincerely,

Carol Ann

Carol Ann said...

Ok, OHIO...

Upon further investigation, it has come to my attention that there may have been a bit of Beatles' sampling involved in that Gone til November song, so there you have your connection. All Beatles songs were listed as having been written by Lennon/McCartney, so it may be embedded somewhere in the song information. Hence, iTunes filing it under John Lennon.

If anyone can correct my f'ed up logic, feel free.

Leslie said...

Did you see the news battle a few years ago between Yoko and Paul McCartney over who wrote "Hey, Jude"?

Not that it matters, it's a fantastic song regardless of who wrote it.