December 19, 2005

The Chronicles of a Comeback?


The internets are totally abuzz about the "Lazy Sunday" digital short (aka the "Narnia Rap") feature on SNL the other night. I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. I even kept it in my TiVo to show my sister, which is very rare as of late when it comes to SNL (This is besides Dane Cook's epi, of course). But yeah. This short was really fun. It had cupcakes, a reference to "The Notebook", and a very Beastie-boysy feel for the holidays. Check it out when you get a chance at YouTube.

Actually, I was surprised to find myself watching the entire episode, TiVo'ing through the commercials aside. And no, it wasn't just the Ba Ba Booey reference during Weekend Update, awesome as it was. There were still a few so-so sketches, but on the whole it was a decent effort. Maybe SNL is on an upswing?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

That really was funny. Especially since I did wanna see Narnia on a Lazy Sunday, *and a drunken Friday. Maybe you're right about SNL - the only thing good that's came of it in recent years is Mean Girls and weekend update. Yay Tina Fay!

My favorite SNL deal was Mary Cathryn Gallagher..SUPASTAR!

Carol Ann said...

OK...I've been meaning to ask you, Leslie. What is the movie called? Is it "The Chronicles of Narnia", "The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe", or just "Narnia"? I've heard it referenced all three ways. Or CAN it be referenced all three ways? Sorry. I'm not hip!

As for Superstar, the best thing in that whole movie was when Mary Catherine Gallagher's boyfriend was leaving town, Jesus (played by Will Ferrell) appeared to him in the road and told him to go back. When the boyfriend asked Jesus if he really thinks Mary Catherine likes him, Jesus said,
"The Lord God is materializing on a highway to tell you to turn around. God, why did I make everyone so insecure!"

Leslie said...

Well CA from Ohio,
The answer to your question is simple.
The official title of the movie is The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe. Is similiar to Harry Potter or LOTR. I.E. Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone, HP and the Chamber of Secrets. LOTR: The Fellowship of the ring.
I think they are like 6 or 7 books to the Chronicles of Narnia. But as far as I'm concerned seeing how at this moment there is only one movie. My vote is for Narnia, at least that is what I'm telling the ticket lady at my theater.

Excellent reference to Superstar. A landmark film for our times. My personal favorite moment is when she gets caught making out with the tree and then says I'm just doing my part to save the environment.