July 23, 2005

Subdued, but hanging in there

I guess we do have a life CA or at least a few minutes to piddle onto my new other friendship (a.k.a myspace.com), although at times less fantastic than others.

As many of you know, I had quite the evening out Wednesday night. I thought I'd use OEF as my Soapbox for a few moments for our skirt blowing audiences time.

So after 4 hours of gossip with some of my old college chums. I returned to my house during the witching hour of 11:00 o'clock. I noticed on old bummy Taurus passing on the opposite side of the street. Although I could not see the drivers general appearance really well, I did note that he was staring extremely hard at me and in a very "suspicious" manner. Seeing that I am a female travelling alone at night, I always try to move with haste to my front door. I'm not saying Nofo is the most dangerous city, but it's not exactly Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood either.

So I take a moment to scoop all my stuff into one huge pile-a target bag, a purse, my camera, my keys, my cell--etc.. I get out of the car to find my suspicious character has driven directly in front of my car.

My first instinct is to bolt or at least walk very quickly to my house literally 20 feet from me. To my (horror) he and another person exit the taurus with haste. Another car speeds in behind me.

The guys get out of the cars and rush towards me. They yell at me to stand still and shut up although at this particular moment I haven't said anything. I (thinking I'm getting robbed) offer my purse, my keys, anything in exchange for a safe passage to my house. I ask repeatedly, "Are you police? Are you police?" Only to get my response on the 4th try. A yes. So at this moment I feel mildy relieved to know I'm not getting robbed and that I'm glad I didn't run.

I guess my frustration comes in at this point because they were not telling me anything. I was not getting accused only yelled at to "shut up and stand still". I retrace my day to think of ANYTHING that may have been something to merit this treatment. "A bad email, a late utility payment, student loans, running a red light, failure to pay for dinner"--but I couldn't find anything wrong.

My neighbors hearing the yelling came out to watch my debacle on the front stoop. Although very embarrassed, I was happy to see them just to witness me getting treated so poorly.

Next came the questions: Where are you coming from? Can anyone verify this? Is this your car? Why are you parked far from your house? I answered honestly (albeit cautiously) to all the interrogating questions. It bothered me that they were smug and distrusting and still unwilling to tell me why they were harassing me from going into my house. Somewhere in the midst of all this the receptionist radios one of them to let them know that I did not match something. At that moment the "I'm sorry's" begin.

Apparently I matched the description (exactly) of a female that only a few hours earlier had assaulted someone at gunpoint down the street from me.

I get a complimentary walk to my house in which the officers carry all the stuff I dropped. They were still watching me while I opened the door to make sure the key was mine and it was indeed my house. It was only after going upstairs to my room that I wasn't being interrogated anymore.

Hindsight is perfect. I realize at this point the way I shoulda handled the entire situation. But the truth is I was really just happy not to have been raped, beaten, and mugged first off. And secondly happy not to have went to jail for something I didn't do.
I have no issues with police tracking down suspects that put the innocent in jeopardy. I only wished that I would have been innocent until PROVEN guilty and that they would have identified themselves as officers.

If I woulda ran I can only assume that this story would have taken a different turn.

So for the record, Police do not always identify themselves as such. When they are not in uniform they look just like you and me. I guess my whole thing is I'm just not sure what you should do when guns are involved. My saving grace were my neighbors.

I've got more thoughts on the subject, but my tuna sandwich is looking mighty tasty. I would put it in the drawer, but I remember how THAT turned out last time.

2 comments:

Hench said...

Holy crap, Leslie. That is crazy-ass. Cops shouldn't be able to run up at you without identifying themselves. If you had taken off running you could have been shot! Also, you have an evil twin running around Nofo assaulting people with a gun. That is some crazy shit.

Carol Ann said...

An interesting telling of this story, I feel, would have been if you asked the half-asleep Carol Ann that took the reactionary phone call describing these events. I'm all soft-voiced, "But you're okay? Good. Leslie is okay. The cops almost got her, but she's okay. She's in her house." I'd be a good sleepy detective. Just the facts & my pillow m'am.