November 24, 2008

OEF Scientists - Christmas Embargo



After putting together hundreds of charts for my day job, I'm beginning to see the merits of these things. It's simple really, you plug in data and look for disparities. Sharp inclines or declines are signs of major change. A steady line or overall even-ness indicates a balance or a plateau. In order to charge the charts, you look at the factors involved and try to figure which aspects of it you can change. This year I decided to take a look at Christmas and analyze where my money is going and what kinda input I'm getting for my output.

Here are my findings:

The number of presents given to the number of presents received is staggering. That little slice of pie is less than the desert cup at KFC.
Plan to fix this: Give less presents.

The reason I'm not getting as much presents as I'm getting is simple, note the crap- present-people spike. I give these people nice presents and get LOTIONS - those are not presents..they are punishments. I'd rather have nothing than lotion.
Plan to fix this: Give less presents.

Finally, I'm getting crappy presents because the value of good presents vs. my actual present budget is pretty horrid.
Plan to fix this: Give Less Presents.


The holidays are tough. I figure I can buy a Cube of Mt. Dew and mail everyone I know a soda. No one is left out and nothing says Leslie like Mt. Dew.

Thank goodness I have the technology.

7 comments:

Carol Ann said...

Well done, Paxton. I think we should all come to your conclusions this year.

GIVE LESS PRESENTS!

or at least:

RECEIVE LESS LOTIONS!

Can we add candles/candleholders & picture frames to the list of holiday punishments?

Hold the phone---did we just declare a war on chrimmas?

Leslie said...

I think those are sound amendments to the list G.

Also to the list-
Summer Sausages, mustards, & goofy holiday only mugs filled with weird unheard-of teas.

I'm gonna say embargo vs. war. It's more diplomatic.

The principles of Christmas are sound. Last year I spent $100 bucks on the angel tree for someone I didn't even know. I felt way better about that present than all the cheap wine I bought for relatives that gave me lotion.

I'm totally pulling out mom's holiday bottlecap hillbilly windchime and my brothers mailing me a styrofoam snowman sculpture for my office. I have my chrimmas lights ready to rock and roll on the old cubicle and I'm totally jazzed about Xmas cards. So no war, just some trade restrictions! :)

Anonymous said...

wow, christmas cards? you are way better than me. I need to do christmas cards at least...sigh. I'm so busy...let me rephrase, i'm so lazy...lol. I really should do xmas cards this year since I do need to send updated photos of Cali, right? Isn't that what parents are supposed to do? Well, that's what I seem to get in all my xmas cards, are photos of people's kids. I must continue the passing of this odd tradition!

Leslie said...

I have 3 or 4 - children/holiday postcards already - I like em. :) I especially like the ones where kids look miserable sitting on Santa's lap. I never liked sitting on fake Santas either. I say put Cali in something red, give her a stuffed reindeer (or reindeer horns on Daisy), and let the Nikon roll.

Are your lights up yet? :)

Anonymous said...

I wish we could just skip Chrimmas and the accompanying cold weather.

Just once?

Anonymous said...

Yep, we've got the crazy light display up. I'm goin to post picts on my blog and a video (cuz now our house is sinked to music so the lights flash to different songs on the iPod). We lit it up on Sunday.

Shei said...

I WANT MY PERFUME CAPS!

Hehehe

I like handmade presents..or cards. Your comic/family portrait still gets good reviews up to now. :)