November 13, 2008

hot.cold.PEOPLE - A Craigslist like rant

I realize the double entendre in the title. I'd just like to take a moment to rant about a major issue I'm having with people of the opposite internal body temperature.

I grew up in a colder part of Virginia. School bus temps hovered in the 20/30's usually from the 2nd week of September on. That kinda cold requires coats, socks, thermal gear of sorts and at times those heat pockets that hunters use to keep their toes from growing numb. In the beginning, you shiver. You keep quiet and hover together, but after a few months of this - you start to adapt. I rarely if ever am cold.

Then I moved here. There's not really snow. Cold here is 40 degrees. I usually love the winter because I can hide my god awful shorts (which have been cut increasing worse as years go by). I go outside and love the cold (when it's not raining abysmally like today). I come to work and my office is 88 DEGREES. I'm wearing a turtleneck, a peacoat, scarf and gloves and get hit by equatorial-like heat wave. I immediately remove the clothes I can remove and try to get cozy in my office, but it's still 88 degrees in a turtle neck.

So today after a 3 month long heat endurance-a-thon with my coworker, I finally broke. Once she restored the heat to 90 after I turned it down to 70; I actually began to peel off my clothes.

"Burr, I'm so chilly" - she says.

I look at her with sweat dripping off my nose, REALLY?? I'm sorry, I'm going to start removing clothes. If you don't leave the thermostat alone I'm going to take off my clothes.

"The heat's been off for like..AN HOUR" - she says.

"I'm am really going to take off my clothes. I'm starting with my shoes. Your choice." And I meant it. I mean it.

Cold natured people, here's the thing: I'm sorry you are cold.
Here's what will help: don't wear shorts, short skirts, or blouses that require camisoles without camisoles. Coats are cute, fashionable, and fun. I don't want you freeze to death.

Questions I can answer about me:
75 degrees indoors is acceptable.
I don't want to run the AC in the winter either.
Am I cold with my sleeveless shirt? NO. I have a coat for outside and it's 88 in here.
I'm not having hot flashes or have any sorta sickness. It's hot in here!!

Sweat is for places that are not work. Heat is fine, but if you are THAT cold you need to go crawl under the house with the other vampires, find some blood and get it checked.

I realize that this is not a very nice blog, but I'm hotter than the pie maker at the end of Sweeney Todd.

4 comments:

Carol Ann said...

Temperature is always an issue in my office; and apparently, the adjacent offices to mine as my theromostat controls their temps too. And they're all skinny minnies who are constantly walking around shivering and rubbing their upper arms and simpering about being cold.

The thermostat is constantly being jerked around. I will set it at a reasonable 72-75 degrees. They claim to be able to see their breath, and ask if they can turn the heat up "just a little". An hour later, I am sweating FROM MY EYES, and realize that they cranked it up to 90 degrees to overcompensate for how cold they were at the moment they touched the thermostat.

Note to skinny minnies: Jacking up the thermostat won't get it any warmer any faster in your office. It's not gonna think to itself, "hmm...90 degrees you say? Wow you must REALLY need that heat!" and instant sauna.

Whenever someone tells me they're cold, I ask if they brought a sweater or suggest that maybe they get up from their desk and take a walk. Get the blood flowing.

You can always warm yourself up, but cooling down is another story. And yes, I do have a medical condition, thanks. And you're violating my civil right and/or the Americans with Disabilities act by making me sweat!

Leslie said...

It's the arm rubbing that really sets me off. I find myself wanting to say put YOUR F*ING shaw on. These are the same people that craved the AC not even a month ago.......why am I the temperature impaired one? Since when did having functioning heating blood be a detractor??

G, when we open our own business - could we have a chilled room all year around?

Anonymous said...

my office is like that too. unfortunately i get cold easily due to my borderline anemia...dang it. But I do bring my jacket/coat/sweaters, etc to work and they stay at my chair, so when i am freezing to death, i have the coat. Unfortunately our building sux. You never know how to dress. When its cold outside, it could be a sauna in the building, and when its hot outside, it could be a freezer inside. You almost need 2 wardrobes, one for external weather, and one for cubicle weather. I think I need to bring a change of clothes with me to work everyday..lol.

Anonymous said...

You guys need to come work in my office. It is a breezy 68 year-round.

I have a fuzzy blanket, slippers, and a heating pad for my lap.