May 30, 2007

chicken fingies


I read this article today about how chicken fingers/nuggets have become the scourge of the average american kid diet.

It reminded me of being eight years old and hating vegetable soup so much. My mom wouldn't let me leave the table until I ate my whole bowl. I distinctly remember, as the 7 o'clock hour crept past, frequently excusing myself to the bathroom with fist-fulls of soup to flush down the toilet.

Also on the enemies list were (and still are, natch) beef stew, anything slathered in gravy, the classic frozen peas n' carrots mix, cooked carrots in general, mushrooms, onions, and brown potatoes.

I hate cooked carrots, but at least I know why. Without struggle, there is no progress & all that.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

While you were dumping soup in the toilet, I was sliding stuff on my brothers plate. When I was 6 he was one, the age of eat anything. To this day, I credit myself for Larry liking Okra, brussel sprouts, onions, and many things green.

Leslie said...

As a side note - okra is a facetious vegetable. Whilst giving the appearance of a chicken finger - it secretly exploded into vegetable nastiness when biting into it. I know your game okra. I know your game.