January 23, 2007

Team Microsoft (?)


Let me start this post by acknowledging that 2/3 of the authorship of this blog, and god knows how much a bigger fraction of the readership are card-carrying Macphiles. Hi, Mac People. I've got no beef with your choice in OS & Hardware. Yes, it's very swanky. And yes, I do understand that it is a veritable Fort Knox of Computer Security. I have no special reason for preferring Windows other than it's what I've used the most since I was a tiny tot. Also, when I was shopping for this here laptop, I just couldn't justify the cost of a Macbook with comparable memory & whatnot.


So anyway, on to the actual beginning of this blob post…

Way back in June 2006, I took Lifehacker's cue, and jumped on the Microsoft Office 2007 Beta Venga Bus. I used it throughout the summer & fall, and sure did find it superior to previous versions of Office, and actually considered shelling out for it (once I'd gained employment, of course) (boo, continued unemployment). But alas! A few weeks ago I received an email from my friends in Redmond alerting me to the fact that my snazzy Office 2007 trial was to soon expire, and if I wanted to continue to bask in it's snazzyness, I'd better pony up OR just simply attend a Microsoft 2007 Launch Event and obtain a free full copy of the software. Huzzah!


So I clicked through that sucker straight away, and was confirmed for a Launch event right up the street in West Atlantic City (which is just a nice way of saying "Pleasantville", which contrary to the name, is not pleasant at all). I still assumed there was gonna be some sort of catch.


Today was the big day, and after four hours (yes, FOUR) of watching a guy "evangelize" MS stuff with occasionally misspelled albeit very pretty powerpoint slides, I got my Office. Plus, a nifty pen that lights up, a t-shirt, and this stylish rubber bracelet to indicate which "track" I was in.

Now, about that "track". I somehow found myself in the "Partner" track, which is for third-party licensed Microsoft dealers.


Which I totally am not, and which means that about 97% of what was being presented went way the frig over my head. Lots of talk about firewalls, Gooey -Based Environments(I know it's not spelled that way), and customized system builds depending on client verticals. (!!!)


But I will say this; Vista sure looks pretty.


Also, one good thing I learned today, by accident, and in quite a timely manner (as my pre-installed Norton Anti-Virus expired today) about something called OneCare. It's Microsoft's anti-virus thingamabob and according to a non-Microsoft-employed IT-type, it's better and less taxing on the system than Norton. Plus, I'm super-sick of Norton getting all in my face every minute to tell me that they've graciously decided to let me view a certain webpage or that things are still "Good". Bitch, just tell me when things are not so good.


Okay, I'm going to abruptly end this boring post. But, I will throw this out there if there are POSSIBLY any Microsoft users in the OEF audience. I also got a free copy of Microsoft Groove 2007 today, which I won't use and don't plan to illegally sell on eBay. So, it's free to the first bidder.

5 comments:

Templeton said...

Man, I had some of that anti virus stuff on my computer and it slowed my computer down more than an actual virus, so I turned that shit off and I've been OK so far.

b rendan said...

Mac for life.

Leslie said...

While I am also Mac for life, I have to work frequently on both platforms. And after recently trying to give my old ( 5 years ) Ibook to my mom, I realized that for people not familiar with Macs it can be a little bit like asking them to accept Xenu the space alien as their personal lord and saviour which can be jarring to say the least. With that said, I say try both. Use the one that makes most sense to you.

I'm not sure about any of the gooey stuff though. If it's gooey and not pudding it can't be good.

Leslie said...

Oh yeah,
I talked to my techie friend.
GUI - Graphics User Interface.
It'a basically the stuff you can see when you turn your computer on. Without one it would look like DOS. Lines of text with no shiny cover on top.

Anonymous said...

Carol Ann, this is Preston...Do not, and I mean do not, get OneCare. I work for Symantec, and you need to check out Norton 360. I am not sure, maybe I can even catch you a deal. Holla Back