August 30, 2006



So I watched Spike Lee’s Documentary on hurricane Katrina. It’s probably the second time I sat that still and openly cried about something I was watching on TV. It was definitely the first time I was so aggravated at listening each branch of the government pass the buck that I threw a piece of bread at my t.v. Yeah, I know - not life altering but I really felt better.

I can’t stop thinking that alot of people voted for this president to feel safer. But are we really safer? A death toll of over 2700 for 9-11...a toll of over 1600 and rising for Katrina (and an ENTIRE displaced city) and the American Lives lost in Iraq nearing 3000. This president’s campaign was based on restoring moral integrity, bringing back the family, and I guess - reducing taxes. Those tax monies I’ve never assumed to have been mine anyway so what is three or four more dollars a check in the grand scheme of things if we can help someone’s grandmother or aid someone in caring for their kids. Reduce taxes but raise gas prices? What is that about?

I read a crude blogger’s comment somewhere that the people of New Orleans knew this was coming and that you can’t live in a bowl and expect it not to fill up and I thought how HEARTLESS can you be? None of the cities we live in are safe from natural disaster especially not with current climatic changes constantly changing? Does anyone else remember a time when it used to SNOW in Norfolk?

I know I’m not supposed to have feelings one way or the other (or at least blog about it) but times like these make you long for 2008. I’m gonna go give some money to my company’s raffle of the week for the charity of their choice. It’s only a couple of bucks for a good cause, but it is a small start and it’s nice to remind yourself that you have a heart floating around in that mass of everyday savings and sensibilities.

1 comment:

Hench said...

Eh....I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the terrorists would have attacked even if two-ball Bill or Gramps McBush were still in office.....we're simply hated doode!