August 11, 2006

Profiles in Dopeness: MOM!



(First off a confession - I wrote this P.O.D a month ago. Yeah, I know it's lame, but I'm doing a spring cleaning of sorts on my computer and decided this tribute to moms wasn't worthy of the recycle bin. So without further delay (3 months is long enough...)

On a whimsy, this past Friday my mom took a red eye drive with my aunt down to hang out with yours truly. First off the fact that she drove 5 hours just because she missed me testifies to the fact that she is a. crazy and b. a fabulous human being. Anyone crazy enough to drive that far to see you must really care alot about you. Which got me thinking about what a rock star she is.

We have our disagreements. There are these classic debates: I will never like onions. I will NOT go to bed when she tells me. I will not date men from her job that look like Tom Selleck. I will most definitely and assuredly not wear taper leg jeans with winter boots. I’m not sure I will ever stop drinking Mt. Dew that particular feat will require divine intervention. Despite these disagreements she has episodes of total fabulosity which make me prouder of her than she’ll ever imagine.

My favorite thing about my mom is that she is a doer. Never one to dilly dally, if mom says this is whats going down, it’s going down. Now I’m gonna drop some Sophia Petrillo on you. Picture this: Statesville, North Carolina. The season was autumn. We were riding in our old ass caprice classic, listening to Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers sing “Islands in the Stream”. We were on our way to my elementary school, I was happily made up for second grade; Book bag packed, lunch box in tow and cre paper leaves in seran wrap bag getting ready for the usual drop and go. When I looked up and realized mom had driven past my school. I waited til Dolly finished the last “ah, ah” to fill her in on the huge oversight. I probably could have told her at an earlier point. Hell, I was only missing the pledge of allegiance and morning announcements (which rarely if ever pertained to Miss Palmer’s second graders). She just looks at me and says, “Do you want to go to school? (My brain: “Is this a trick question?”)

Me: Well, um..I did my homework, but we don’t have any tests.
Mom: how bout we just skip work and school and go play put-put! Awesome!

I know, not a story about how a kidney saved a daughter, but it’s why my mom is great.
I’m gonna call her now and tell her how great she is.

To which she’ll say: “Can’t talk right now, watching Iron Chef! Love ya!”

1 comment:

Hench said...

Doode, I don't know where you've been, but....Tom Selleck is hot. Go for it!! Ooo-la-la.