February 10, 2006

Book It?

It was suprisingly easy to pick my three favorite books:

I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice — not because of his voice,
or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the
instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God;
I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.
-John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany

I became what I am today, at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the
winter of 1975.
-Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've
been turning over in my mind ever since.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

From my never-to-be-written debut novel Thank You, Dear, the opening sentence:

Someday you will meet somebody who changes everything you know about what kind of person you are; somebody who will make you do crazy things you always knew you would never do; the things you thought you were to smart for. Someday soon.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I like that first opening line, now there is a way to grab a reader. Owen is the reason I believe in God. -- Wow. Good choices..

Is your novel..of a romantic nature?
L

Hench said...

I tell everybody how much I love that damn Owen Meany book, but I hope people don't take me for some crazy religious zealot...

My novel would maybe have elements of romance...I don't know... mostly elements of confusion and suprise... am I making any sense?

b rendan said...

"Early one evening, during an exceptional heat wave in the begining of July, a young man walked out in to the street from the closetlike room he rented on Stoliarny place." Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky