April 4, 2005

What’s in a name?

A lady at my job consistently refers to me as Mary Beth. She is a nice lady and I think somewhere inside her head she knows I am not Mary Beth but yet she cannot refuse the urge to call me that. Not that it is a huge deal, but people should take the time to at very least learn your name. I have corrected this alleged offender three times, and she responds by say “oh Les, you know what I am talking about.” To that I just look at her because I really don’t know what she is talking about. My name makes me unique. It makes me not Mary-Beth. A fellow student of mine called me Lisa for 3 years, despite being corrected repeatedly. If you do not know my name ask; for god sakes I was wearing a name badge! Not Liz, Not Lisa, Not Leann, Not Mary Beth.

5 comments:

Hench said...

I think it is a very big deal that she calls you Mary Beth, if only because of the extra effort it takes to say Mary Beth, what with the pause between the two names and all. It is not even close to your actual name! And the fact that you have corrected her and she still calls you Mary Beth is very weird.

Having said that, G and I were on the other end of a similar situation in college. There were these two guys, one named Kevin and one named Matt. For some reason, Matt looked like a Kevin and Kevin looked like a Matt. We couldn't keep them straight to save our lives! We compromised by calling one Matt-Matt-Kevin and the other one Kevin-Kevin-Matt. When faced with an in-person meeting, I simply avoided saying their name until I had thought about which one was the right name.

Does that make you feel any better?

Carol Ann said...

If you'll remember, Kevin Kevin Matt's name became easier to remember when we changed it to Kevin Kevin MACK, as every time we saw him he was macking (though creepily) on some girl or another.

Hench said...

Even as I read your last sentence, I was getting them confused. I was picturing Matt-Matt-Kevin at first, trying to remember him macking. And then I remembered what a dirtball Kevin-Kevin-Matt was. And as I was typing that last sentence, I started to type Matt, not Kevin!

Carol Ann said...

When I think of Matt Matt Kevin, I can just hear him yelling "FA-JI-TA!" all suggestively. Ick. Also, I can't get over my incredulosity at discovering his name was NOT Matt. I felt like I was a character in a Total Recalleque movie where the joke was on me. And all of you? Robots and/or aliens in place only to perpetuate the alternate reality created just for me. Or maybe that was Truman Show. Who knows. Today's kinda Monday for me and the old noggin isn't exactly up to speed yet. Damn you shiny Norfolk!

Leslie said...

I must make a brief clarification for Sheiko. For my friends who know I am Leslie and 9 times outta 10 call me that I will forgive the misnomer.

If you have 6 friends named Lisa, Liz, Lauren, and Lepper then your occasional misnomer is forgiven.