January 8, 2008

Back to Earth

Said about Barack Obama tonight on Nightline (a habit I've picked up
since the writers strike). It's very spot on. I like Mr. Obama fine,
but in the last few days the rhetoric had him picking out his blotter
for the oval office already. The kind of stuff that makes me hate the
media. Always thinking they can will tommorow's headlines into
existence because it makes a better story, or it better plays into
archetypes and the lowest common denominator. I'm interested to see
how this election plays out...mostly because any outcome (besides
creepy Mike Huckabee) is going to be an upgrade to our current
Commander in Chief. Ok, will end this political iRant. Maybe I
should include a pic of my Pancakes to atone...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I was 16 I would vote for Ron Paul because he is so tiny and cute. Just like I would have voted for Ross Perot because he was so tiny and cute, with huge ears.

Guess it is a good thing the minimum age to vote is 18. Maybe it should be 25....

Carol Ann said...

My 7th grade English teacher evangelized to us on a daily basis about Ross Perot and Waco. When we should have been learning about diagramming sentences and subject-verb agreement we became intimately familiar with the evils of NAFTA and the ATF. Also, there was this repugnant girl in our class, Jen Stockdale, who claimed she was somehow related to Ross Perot's running mate, the 900 year-old James Stockdale.

I remember being geniunely bummed out at how poorly Perot fared in the election, and learned a valuable lesson about politics. Chris Rock had a bit about it awhile back. Something about how if you take the such-and-such bus to work on Tuesday morning, and your guy doesn't win, the such-and-such bus is still going to be there on Wednesday to take you to work.

Leslie said...

As much as I want to be a part of "the change" and as much as I want "the change".
I'm doing this thing where I'm *not* watching the elections.

My reasoning here is simply this, the more I allow myself to get wrapped up in media hype for any candidate the more my person seems to come undone and I can't have another situation THIS year like 4 years ago where all my peeps lost and the ultimate evil won. Make no mistake when I have the opportunity I will vote - but it seems to me like all the democratic candidates have exactly the same stand - BUT..I'm also not a delegate who CAN vote in a primary so this is all essentially moot until we have our "person".

G I think you should write a blog about the 900 year old stockdale and his repugnant relation to your classmate BECAUSE THAT and Chris Rock statement garnered me my first laugh on 1/10/08.
:)