August 29, 2007

August Soap Box



So my job ate my life this month. Let me tell you, it’s good to emerge triumphant from a 3 week epic project. The good news is that it is DONE for better or worse. The bad news is that I have seemingly lost 90 percent of August 2007 and about 7 hours of my 29th Birthday. I hated to be a grouchifus about it, but the fact is I’ve waited for at least 5 years to have a Saturday birthday and as the fates would have it. I spent it working. Not that I dislike overtime, but I view work a little like the TV show Big Brother. Sure it can be fun at times, and sure there can be some nice people - but you have to play it like Janelle and remember that you are there to get the prize. You are there to get that money!! On the flipside of this, my “superiors” seem extremely grateful and are carrying on as if a small village has been saved through powerpoint. To think, so many people go to church, and the power lies in a microsoft office product all along. Who knew?

HR sent out a memo about how joining Weight Watchers (women)/Nutrisystem (men) could save us all on our health insurance and how there is also a walking “club” discount - that’s all good in theory, but the execution here is murderous considering we are in the center of an island of fast food. I can smell the McGriddle getting out of my car, and taste the Ruby Tuesdays salad bar on my bad days at lunch.

So as G stated in a mid-day conversation - “I haven’t talked to you since you were 28!”
So I’ll recap. August was a good month, I sorta came up with a successful Virgo Birthday Shakedown (my friends brought their friends) and I provided the email which was the concept. Party organizing is not my forte, but if you tell people they DON’T have to come, then they usually show up. Go figure. The first time I’ve been in a room with at least 5 other Virgos. People should make a point to hang out with similiar zodiac signs on occasion, it’s like hanging out with 5 you’s.

I went home to find Covington on fire. (hahahahaha Covington’s on fire) -- No seriously my hometown had a 20 mile brush fire of sorts. Perhaps the funniest aspect of it - is that the helicopters appeared to be dropping tiny buckets of water on it. And -- other than a road sign saying the mountain was on fire - it was business as usual. Brush fires in Cali seem disastrous, but in VA - no worries. Weirdness. Just run to 7-11, hook yourself up with 1-Liter Deer Park and you are a fire fighter.

My cousin moved here from our home town in the boonies. I’m hoping to get her into lots of trouble with NOFO shenanigans.

I seen two concerts this month, the Dropkick Murphy’s (never heard of them before) and the Format both awesome DKM’s was the first concert were I actually wound up bleeding and with a stretched nearly torn shirt. The Format Lead singer seemed a little moodier than some of the other groups that’s been through. He was well, sorta mean to a guy that was just jonesing for a particular song. I have to admit I agreed with the heckler, just sing the damn song! Encores stink! Just do your set and sing MY favorite! Especially if we’ve had to stand through 3 or 4 craptastic opening bands and not all of are us 12. Even though I like newer groups, I may start specifically avoiding them til they are bandwagon material - although, I thought TV on the Radio was a pretty old group and their audience was all 12 year olds too. Harumph.

I got some Freelance jobs this month that are fun and gleeming with potential - I guess my big gripes with those consist of the clients using the words “organic” and moving in the “right direction” which is sorta a sideways snipe, because the way I see it, if you give me NO direction --- the right direction sounds a little like you are complaining. I hate when clients use “organic” to describe design (or anything for that matter). “I want this to be organic” or “I want this to have an organic feel.” I have two thoughts at the moment that word is uttered. One: You want your design like rotting garden vegetables. Two: You want this to appear “living” as opposed to the other dead designs I’ve worked on in the past. Just say I like it or ......that’s not the look I was going for. I’m a big girl now.

So there’s 3 days left in the month, in which I must visit the DMV (ARGH), design a tattoo for my mom, and make some sorta lasting decision on the labor day holiday, as well as clean Dorian’s fish tank ( I have a beta fish again), and try to help my cousin give away faux Rottie puppies. Sigh Nana, took a tour of the wrong side of the tracks. Dammit Nana.

Happy September All!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the faux rotties are soooo cute!

Leslie said...

Nana suprised her owners, she normally breeds rotties, but apparently another dog snuck under the fence. Half the puppies look completely like rotties, the others are like rotties dropped in white paint.

Bad nana!

Hench said...

Are those puppies kissin'? (In my head, this was said in Brian Fellow's voice...)