June 29, 2006

Mama, I'm Coming Home?

So I'll be in Norfolk for the four-day weekend, a bittersweet occasion indeed. While I'm from Wildwood, NJ; my mom moved to Hampton Roads while I was still in college. So once college was through, I was kind of left in limbo. I couldn't go "home" because "home" wasn't in New Jersey anymore. Having no kind of income to speak of to pay for a spiffy Ghent studio for myself, I was relegated to Chesapeake for a 14-month sentence before I was able to escape back the land of fast-talkers & edible sangwiches.

But alas, the tables have turned, and now my mom is packing it in and moving back to the Garden State. Which gives me slight pause, because my Virginia headquarters is closing its' doors. Sure, my brother still lives in the 'Peake, but it's not the same. He has a family of his own now and an uncomfortable couch.

But the more I think about it, the Norfolk I miss isn't there anymore. There's no Hench to drive around late at night, questioning the credentials of the more modest homes on Studley Avenue; and I'm not nearly trendy enough for all of these places that have cropped up with their tapas & crappily concocted Mojitos.

I swear I didn't mean for this entry to be cranky. I'm actually excited about my trip, and I will be back many, many times. I just may have to sleep on a couch in the Webb.


5 comments:

Leslie said...

DAMN TAPAS, THEY TOOK WONDERBAR!

Carol Ann said...

See, I don't even know what wonderbar is aside from what I've heard from you. It came & left in the time since I've been gone!

Hench said...

Doode, it is a good thing you are going to be in VA cause your governor may close down the beaches and parks for the holiday weekend unless his budget bill is passed....he sounds like a big baby to me!

Hey, if you move to NoFo, I'll drive around late at night all up and down Studley. Those were good times, man.

Templeton said...

You're not missing much here in Norfolk.

Carol Ann said...

One thing I am definitely NOT missing is the OPPRESSIVE heat in Norfolk. Goddammit, how do you people ever even go outside in the summer? It was so hot this weekend I wanted to cry.