May 16, 2006

Yay, radio?


I was just sitting here in the old basement, sort of blowing off going to bed, and yes, admittedly checking myspace for one last time. Somehow I got to fumbling with music, and was inspired by Hench's changing of songs to change my own.

I kind of felt like Soul Coughing, so I went to find some. I chose "Sugar Free Jazz", and even though I've heard it seventy-eleven billion times, I decided to sit and give it a spin; maybe play a game of Snood or two. When the song was over, I wasn't over music, so I clicked on over to my bro's myspace page as I know he has another favorite Soul Coughing song on his page, "True Dreams of Witchita". And when THAT song was over, I still needed some music. So I clicked on my handy Yahoo! Widget Engine icon, and turned on my SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner widget.

To my initial chagrin, my favorite station, Left of Center, was playing the MC Lars (pictured here) Show. MC Lars is a self-proclaimed "geek rapper", quasi-famous for such songs as "iGeneration" and "Signing Emo". Sounds cute, right? So why the chagrin? While I sort of enjoy these little songs for their snarky commentary on pop culture; it's not real music, it's novelty, and I came to my Sirius tuner this evening for some HITS to sing while I futilely try to beat my sister's Snood score.

But something odd happened---or rather, is happening. Because you see, friends, it is currently 10:46PM. WAY past my bedtime. Or at least I should be in bed right now watching General Hospital, and already starting to feel the effects of my Tylenol PMs. But nooooo. I'm sitting here actually listening to a radio show (that isn't Howard Stern), waiting to see what this guy is going to play next.

So far, a sample playlist:

  • Alice in Chains, Would
  • Weezer, The Sweater Song
  • Soul Coughing (!), Circles
  • Public Enemy, Bring the Noise
  • NWA, Fuck the Police
  • The Ramones, Sheena is a Punk Rocker
  • Rusted Root, Send Me on My Way
  • Hilary Duff, Fly
  • Weird Al Yankovic, Amish Paradise
  • Nirvana, Come as You Are
  • Rob Base, It Takes Two
Yeah, Hilary Duff is whack, but you see my point. It's actual variety, and I actually enjoyed listening to the radio. It's sort of endearing when you know someone actually chose those songs, and chose them to play in that order. Working in radio, the act of actually "doing radio", that is getting the music to the people, is so clinical. Songs are ranked according to some consultant's opinion, and will get rotation based on that rank. Or something like that. I don't know for sure, as I'm not a programmer, but you get the point. It's a totally joyless process concerning one of the things that brings the most joy to the most people---music.

I'ma admit it right here, I don't have a conclusion for this rather meandering blog; and now I kinda want to find out if the brain surgery Dr. Drake illegally performed on Sam will actually save her life, thus vindicating her mobster boyfriend, or further fueling the wrath of her newly-discovered mother, Alexis.

9 comments:

Leslie said...

As a pre-teen, me and my mom got up at the crack of dawn to get up for work/school at 5:30 every morning. And every morning we'd listen to the mind numbing musical selections of Clifton Forge's own "Rita Kay". Her voice was grating, her delivery choppy, and other than having the name Rita K - I could find no reason for her to be in radio. For well over a year, she played the exact same 20 songs. The only variance was in play order and at some point, I began to wonder if I had fallen into my own never ending "Groundhog's Day". Me as Bill Murray, listening to Shenandoah and Vince Gill instead of Cher. I'd also try to end my heinous musical life in the same manner. Changing the radio station, knocking the radio over, accidentally unpluggin it, hiding it..etc. Each morning I'd voice my opinion to my mom only to lose the argument in this manner.

"If you don't like my radio station, grow up and DJ your own, now if you want a ride to school - you'll stop arguing with me and go take a shower!"

I stopped listening to radio after the advent of the cd burner. There was no need to hover by the jam box for hours waiting to push record to get that special version of "Head to Toe" by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam on tape, (which I'd eventually tape over with Aerosmith's "Living on the Edge" anyways.)

I do on occasion tune into Man Cow, but then realize he's not of my political persuasion and go running back to my car cd player and my ipod.

Carol Ann said...

When I still lived in Virginia, and worked at Harris Publishing aka the most boring place to work on the planet, I listened to a lot of talk radio. As the majority of talk radio is conservative-leaning, I couldn't help but have a difference of political opinion.

BUT! It served a purpose. It's easier to stay away if you're angry.

I actually came to have some modicum of affection for G. Gordon Liddy, as he is certifiable and mostly harmless. Dr. Laura, on the other hand, is an incredibly odious woman.

Am rambling....

But there was a radio station I listened to in high school that was basically an iPod---no djs, about 5 commercials total. For about 3 months it would play "Who Will Save Your Soul" by Jewel at exactly 7:11AM every single day. That was my personal groundhog day.

Kellette said...

I totally think Sam is going to survive (maybe cause they showed a preview of her confronting Alexis), but they need the drama now between Jason, Alexis and her...affecting Jason's new position. Dr. Drake will redeem himself...

Templeton said...

For me the only radio that matters is NPR. At work I listen to all the NPR podcasts then stream my favorite shows (Film Week from KPCC is epic. 2PM EST on Fridays). Commercial radio leans towards the lowest common denominator. I have very little in common with the lowest common denominator so commercial radio only getrs played when I have passengers in my car and they start bitching about how Prairie Home Companion isn't going to get them psyched to go skate. I lost my train of thought, but I guess the point is that NPR is awesome!

Carol Ann said...

I'd be treading on touchy ground if I dissed commercial radio, as that's where I get my paychecks.

But this I will say; Not everyone is as culturally aware and pro-active as you and I, and they may not see (or care about) all the corporate BS that comes with the enjoyment of their music. Which is fine. The world needs LCD's, otherwise there'd be no snobs, and then I'd be snuffed off the face of earth.

But, when forced to listen to "terrestrial radio", I do lean towards NPR. Actually, I get NPR Now, NPR Talk, AND PRI on Sirius, so I'm a little spoiled. But I digress...It was actually you, Temp, who turned me onto "This American Life", and I still try to listen to one new or old show a week. Yesterday I was reminded of an old show about Fiascos, which had a really great story from the POV of a guy who came up with a rather ill-conceived method for staving off attacking visigoths. It makes me laugh out loud every time.

PS. I'm pretty sure they're making a movie based on "Prairie Home Companion" and Lindsay Lohan is in it. NPR has officially jumped the shark, man.

Carol Ann said...

Also, Kellie, I agree that Sam will live. Why pass up any more opportunites for Kelly Monaco to cry and claw and otherwise rage at Alexis?

Also, Dr. Drake will be redeemed. He'll cure AIDS so he & Robin can have 10,000 babies.

Anonymous said...

I need to start watching Days again. Sounds like it's getting good........

Kellette said...

it's general hospital anonymous...big difference =o)

Leslie said...

Oh snap!