February 7, 2005

While I cannot remember the Sean Connery face…

I can remember some of College. I can almost go back. Only almost though, if I did go back it wouldn’t be the same. After working and living in the real world I don’t think I could sit in class with all that optimism.

I can remember the earthquake joke, the defininition of Mer, and the claw.

Do you remember the conversation we had about journalists who film disasters and people in poverty and talk to them as if they had not just lost a family member or a limb in an earthquake? It’s a fragmented conversation but I remember making a crazy voice and talking about a butt being exposed. Do you remember that?

Mer: 1. a descriptive adjective used to express a wide range of feelings.
Example: How are you feeling today? Mer.
2. an adjective that may also be used as a name.
Mer, what are you doing? *usually used by a girl named Kristin.

The claw: 1. a gesture made to a member of the opposite sex to show them that you are attracted to them *the claw most often times is accompanied by a hiss much like the noise made by lions of the Serengetti.

To make claw. 1. Hold hands outstretched palms facing ceiling. Then draw fingers inward in menacing “feral-cat” pose.

There are other college classics which should be story titles:
“Calling Mo-Mo. “Hullo? HU-Hullo?”,
“Leslie, I think Ron is following Me”
"The Women’s Liberation-Frog Stomp Front"
“No Time for Fake Rhymes: Jody is born."
“Hench DOES NOT Dance.”
“Running is the Only way to travel.”
“The Floor feels so Cool”
“Is that Grimmace?”

I meant to post this like a week ago so it would be with your old blog entries.
I can’t do anything sequentially.

5 comments:

Carol Ann said...

Okay...the earthquake joke elludes me....but something about a butt being exposed is ringing a tiny little bell somewhere. Perhaps it will come to me in a dream. I don't necessarily remember the claw, but I'm sure I used it on more than a few occasions.

Who could forget MoMo. I believe you described his complexion/overall look as "human cucumber". That is both troubling and hysterical at the same time.

Ron was just weird. I remember (not by choice) Morgan snuggling with him in her bed, and I'd be trying to pretend I didn't notice (though they were 2.8 feet away) and he'd just ramble on and on in conversation with me...and he also tried to call me Mer but he had a weird accent that made it sound like "Mare". Also? He somehow started believing he was a pimp when Morgan relieved him of his virginity.

Of course I could never forget the frog-stomping Women's Lib 7-11 jag. My favorite part was sitting on the ODU sign and gobbling up our treats though.

Jody's coming out party was one of the funnest nights EVER. Even if subsequent run-ins with Jody's man would strike terror in my heart, I handily reminded myself that I did not, in fact, have blue hair in real life.

What's with Hench not dancing? I mean, I know she ain't dance, but was there a specific event where she wouldn't dance. Further, did I dance at this event? Because I generally DO NOT dance. Unless held hostage by my friends Mark Yuengling and Jessica Vodka.

This running thing...are you referring to that one time Me, You, Nicki, & Ed ran home from the Edge? That was random and awesome.

I know the floor being cold is your affinity for the floor in the hallway of NN8 after a night out. I've told this story like a hundred times though so I won't do it again.

Grimmace? No idea.

Leslie said...

There was a night, I believe through some sorta promise of free liquor that Hench, Nicki?, Ed?, Baxter, Temescan (sp), me and you went out to Waterside (shivers**) We were dancing. I think you were with Jessica Vodka at the time. You were dancing with Temescan as well. Baxter wanted Hench to dance and there was a distinct moment of NO. The sheer no-ness of it would inspire me the rest of my club-life to tell unwanted dance partners NO with a sense of confidence and certainty.

"Running" is something I would do at any moment of thoughtlessness usually accompanied by alcohol. I ran from the edge that night as well as that party with that I went to with you and Katy and the infamous Mt. Dew attack.

Grimmace was born as a result of sheer chalk drawing insanity from what was supposed to have been a self portrait. I think I ended up "running" away from my wayward illegitimate art child that night.

Hench said...

I am glad that I have inspired such confidence when turning down an offer to dance! The pressure can be traumatic and the situation can end in disaster if sensibilites are set aside in a moment of passion/intoxication/delusion.

Wow. Ron and Morgan. Sailor Moon! Mo-Mo (can that really be his name??). Washing armpits with a washcloth and calling it a shower (G,didn't you say Mary did that?) Do you remember the popularity poll that showed that Heather was the least popular roomate? Do you remember hiding her food?

Mardi-Gras head and sunny days at Mecca. But not together, because that would have caused system-overload. Hot, rich sophomore boys and a hot, usually mostly-naked diver living next door. Why would you ever want to leave college!!

Carol Ann said...

You're right. Mary DID take a whore's bath. She'd also drop some mighty bombs in the non-bomb bathroom and not even a hint of air freshener. Bitch wouldn't even switch on the fan.

I do remember the popularity poll, and it being hysterical. The sad part was, that even though there was no official vote, it was sort of accurate.

Hiding Heather's food was pretty fun. I remember she'd count her cookies. She also ate a waffle smothered in peanut butter then drowned in maple syrup for EVERY meal, and she acted like she was Bobby Flay or something while preparing it. Then I'm pretty sure she puked it up every time.

Ahh, Mardi Gras head.

You know, for some reason I have an IM-conversation with that almost-always naked diver, and in it he was chastizing me for sending you over there for something. The Hench made him sweat. It was very cute. Didn't Davy blab about that crush? Those boys were so fun. Remember when they climbed up on the fountain? I've got pictures.

Hench said...

Davy totally blabbed it and I wasn't prepared to handle it. He was too hot!

I'd love to see those pictures. I remember thinking that Dori's digital camera was so cool and new and exciting.