February 23, 2005

News Bulletin


This is from MTV news today:

Guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, a founding member of Korn, has left the band and has rededicated his life to Christianity, according to the group's management.
"Korn respects Brian's wishes, and hopes he finds the happiness he's searching for."

The announcement puts to rest weeks of rumors that Welch was unhappy with Korn's direction. On February 8, he had apparently written a "letter of resignation" to the band's management. In the note, Welch detailed a long list of reasons for leaving the band, including increased moral objections to Korn's music and videos. In particular, he was upset by how he was portrayed in the clip for their cover of Cameo's "Word Up," off their recently released Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 album. In the video, Welch's face was superimposed on a dog patrolling a strip club


I felt I had to make a quick announcement to my loyal readers since a few of them were questioning my feelings on the situation.

Korn was my favorite group in the late nineties early 2000’s. While I am a sad my favorite guitarist is moving on I’m happy that he’s pursuing something he believes in. I mean after all this is much better news than hearing that he died of a drug overdose or ate a live rat.

In my old(er) age I’m not as angry as I was at the close of my teen years. I don’t have enough room in my heart to be so pissed off about everything anymore. Don’t get me wrong, there are moments; but with this change of heart came a change of music. I think my new favorite group at the moment is a tie between Interpol, The Strokes, The Killers and Fleetwood Mac (not to mention a slew of top forty hip-hop songs).

Teen angst has been replaced more or less with songs about being lovelorn, growing up, and well having some fun.

I guess what I’m saying is the thing that represented me years ago isn’t necessarily who am I now. It’s understandable and expected that my group would grow up with me.

No comments: