October 29, 2004

The Best Compliment Ever

It's not often in jobs (at least in my experience) that people take it upon themselves to share POSITIVE gossip about you. My fellow COWS (Common Old Workers as my room-mate calls them) work tirelessly under the radar to ensure that the people above them look intelligent. Today Mary S., a senior COW, stopped me in the hall to share that she had overheard a conversation and that my boss was having with the HR lady Van Goober.
A year ago and a half ago, VanGoober interviewed me and apparently couldn't show me to the door fast enough. 6 months later after re-evaluating me (with some help from a connected insider), I was worthy of the job here.
Mary S. said that my Boss, The Boys (the presidents) and Van Goober were extremely impressed the efficiency of my work since Co-worker X was gone and that I was a "sweet girl". Mary S. coincidentally is in charge of payroll. What could that mean?
This compliment means the world seeing as how this time last year my boss was calling me an adultrous traitor.
What a difference a year makes.
L

1 comment:

Carol Ann said...

That IS a good compliment. I get a "you rock" every once in a while from a salesperson, but that's about it. I think my superiors (here on out referred to as "the tooly brothers") are afraid to acknowledge any skill I have for fear of actually having to pay me what I'm worth. So they hold up the old-model COWS who also work tirelessly under the radar so they look intelligent.
The best compliment I can remember was when I asked my SAC chairs to describe their fellow exec board members in one word and Eric Green said I was "All Around Dope", which is three words, but three very sweet words regardless.