September 12, 2007

Reasons to NOT own an iphone.

While it seems I should have an iphone. I actually don't. I'm not saying it's not one of the coolest things since the invention of the microwave, but the fates in my small fraction of the universe have said - "Leslie, an iphone is not for you."

So here's why -
1. My phone service doesn't support them yet and I kinda LOVE my service. I'd be a better rep than the "Can-You-Hear-Me Now" Guy.
2. It's expensive. Even after a rebate, it's still expensive. I can think of 50 other things to spend that kind of money on.
3. I have a computer with high speed internet on a fairly large screen (which i pay for too). I can see all things large, live, and most of the time with relatively litte connectivity problems. Anytime I access my mobile web on my current cell, I have to wait for 30 minutes.
4. I own an ipod. It's less than a year old - and it stores up to 10,000 songs. Some people don't need that kind of storage, but I do. I think I was a dj in another life. I will never own or purchase enough music. It plays TV shows already and movies and podcasts and it's everything I need it to be. I've got it in a nice sports case so it will withstand running, the elements, and whatever ipod torture I can come up with for the next year or so.
5. It's operated on a touch screen. And much like kids at the daycare center I spend all day dealing with germs, dirty keypad, dirty restroom door, greasy chicken leg, sticky chocolate bar, sweaty palm -- you name it. I have no desire to put all that crap all over my iphone (despite reg. handwashing) and then smoosh that thing against my face. Yes, I know about bluetooth - but it looks dumb to put in bluetooth and hold cell phone in front of you as if you were examining space rocks on Mars.
6. It's a phone. My pink razr is pretty cool and I'm loving the blue LG.
As for the rebate, I'm glad S.J. apologized. He knew that phone shouldn't have been that much. But if you actually break it down, you are buying a phone and and ipod smooshed together. 150 phone + 350 ipod = do the math. You are getting exactly what you pay for.
So there it is peeps. Now let me know why I should buy an iphone....Call my Razr. If you like. :)

5 comments:

Hench said...

I agree that the iphone was/is way overpriced. But the people that rushed out the first day to buy them shouldn't now complain. Normally you can't buy something when it first comes out and then want a refund two months later when it goes on "sale."

I dunno, that's just me.

Leslie said...

Ditto, that's technology.
I paid $450 for my first 3mp digital camera in 01. Since then a 6mp dig. cam. can be easily purchased for as little as $100. It will be even cheaper in another year -- but I can't cry over spilled milk.

Carol Ann said...

My brother was one of those dolts who ran out & paid $600 for his iPhone, but as always, Butch is mostly unflappable. He's not a mac geek by any stretch of the imagination, he just wanted to treat himself to a new toy, and happened to be a cingular/att customer. He's a chef, and therefore works in one of the grossest environments there is, exposing his jesusphone to all manner of sauces, creams, and general muck. Two months in it is still in tact and generally shiny.

I have no good reason for wanting one. It might be sibling rivalry, though Butch concedes that I probably know more about his phone than he does...I need to keep up with the Butcheses.

Did you know you can use your iPod as a portable Sirius Satellite Radio listening device? That's worth the price of admission for me, as I'd have a telephone, iPod, Sirius Stiletto ($250), and mini internet machine.

And I could totally make the Waterboys' song "Whole of the Moon" my ringtone for Hench with the most minimal hassle.

This was not a very good (or coherent) defense of the iPhone. They gave us free lunch today from the hospital cafeteria and we ate like kings (queens) complete with peanut butter pie. I'm a little woozy.

Leslie said...

Who are the Waterboys?

Your defense is stellar G. However I was tainted before you could get to me. Kudos to Butch on his cool new purchase and for maintaining sanitation.

A certain person..who does not know this blog exists..and hopefully shall not. Offered me a trial run on said iphone last month. It was coated in foundation makeup and yes, I believe an ear related substance on the face screen, several thousand hand prints and a few dog hairs. I was officially grossed out. I'm not a germaphobe but ...it was Gross.

I will check out that sirius thing though..seeing as how I do have sirius.

I just pictured me rubbing a BK whopper on my face and I was done.

I had a red bull for breakfast and am fading fast as well.

Hench said...

G, the Waterboys? You wouldn't!

I guess it is better than the Sanford and Son theme song though.