September 12, 2007

"Glad I'm Not 'Indie'"

I kill a lot of time on craigslist, reading Rants & Raves, looking at the Pets section (though my little "townhouse" is already bursting at the seams with pets and pet-related junk) and the Pets forum. As I was perusing R&R yesterday, I came across a posting called "Glad I'm Not 'Indie.'" I clicked on it because it was one of the few without pictures (ever since I clicked on a post while at my workstation and the nastiest picture I've ever seen popped up, I shy away from posts that announce that they have a picture attached). And also because I, too, am glad I'm not "indie."

Anyways. The post is from somebody who found an "ad" in the "Strictly Platonic" section. I'll re-post the original ad here..... I sincerely hope it is a joke. If not, this may be why the original poster finds himself/herself friendless. Yeeowza! Even if it is a joke, still the person took all this time to write out a huge list with pretentious references......wait a minute....in or around DC, pretentious, hmmm......maybe I already know this person!

Well now. On to the ad (in block quote formation, since it is basically a huge quote)!

I’m a recent returnee to the area, know no one here my age, and am looking for someone to hang out with once a week or so, maybe catch an occasional indie show or art exhibit, talk movies and books over drinks, make stuff, play video games, swap mixes, whatever. I’m a librarian with an art background, pretty self-sufficient in terms of keeping busy, but I need some friends my age. I live and work in FFC but might travel for good company, especially re: music snobbery.

I’m definitely not just looking for any random 20-something with free time -- hence the following screening questions. No right answers and you don’t have to have an answer for every question. That said, common ground is kind of the point. Please, don’t bother writing if you can’t answer any.

Also don’t bother if you’re just looking for sex; you smoke or use drugs (sorry!); you can’t occasionally and completely separate yourself from your SO and your children (mentally and physically). Social liberals only. Ages 21-30, please.

Anyone still reading? Amazing! On to the questions.

1. What is your favorite Stephin Merritt project? Kathleen Hanna? Spencer Krug?
2. Who is your favorite living artist?
3. Meat is murder. True or false?
4. Alternately, Meat is Murder or The Queen Is Dead?
5. Your favorite book EVER?
6. What is the last album you bought (or downloaded)?
7. Mr. Darcy or Mr. Thornton?
8. What’s the last live show you saw?
9. What are you going to be for Halloween?
10. Audrey Hepburn or Katherine Hepburn?
11. Have Okkervil River completely and irrevocably gone the way of Bright Eyes?
12. What is your favorite Wong Kar Wai film?
13. What is the last thing you made with your hands?
14. Dame Darcy vs. Melora Creager.
15. What have you read in the last month (or two)?
16. Amuse me with Tom Waits quotations.
17. Captain Jack Sparrow or the Dread Pirate Roberts?
18. Who is your favorite feminist?
19. What does the term “fandom” mean to you?
20. Did you recognize my post title? DID YOU?
21. Name a few favorite record labels.
22. What’s the last movie you saw in theaters?
23. Abishek Bachchan vs. Saif Ali Khan.
24. Mix tapes or mix CDs?
25. The Blow are playing the Black Cat in October -- how excited are you?

Send me your answers, I’ll send you mine, and we’ll go from there.

Wow. I love craigslist!

7 comments:

Hench said...

Ooops, the block quote format didn't work, but it looks ok without it.

Leslie said...

Wow. I always thought the best thing about friendships was that they didn't require an application. This guys going to be decoupaging alone if he doesn't lower his standards a bit.

I'm going to have to Wiki Tom Waits..cuz I've never heard of him.

Carol Ann said...

That survey/application/whatever makes me want to punch a baby. Instead of being an elitist coward and posting a list of crap that they think makes them interesting to meet some like-minded people, why don't they just go to the supercool shows they mention and chat up some folks? Besides, anyone can study up on all of these whack questions & craft "right enough" answers to get the greenlight from this fool.

I actually want to do that, and incubate an online friendship with this person, exchanging thoughtful emails & gmail chats (AIM is so bourgeois). Then I'd suggest we meet by the merch booth at a concert by a band from one of the "acceptable" labels. And then I'd karate chop him/her in the neck.

Leslie said...

Do it G! I'll hide behind a table and tape the karate chop with my new dig. camera thing.

Hench said...

I'm curious about #20 on his list, "Did you recognize my post title? DID YOU?" The person who reposted did not include a link to the original post, so I can't find it in Strictly Platonic amidst the "Who's Bored Like Me?" and the "Seeking Lady Friend for the Genesis Concert" ads. (Incidentally, I would totally take somebody up on an extra free ticket to see Genesis!)

I probably saw the ad but didn't get the reference in the title, because I'm not cool like that.....

Carol Ann said...

I'd totally accompany a fella to Genesis. Was "Land of Confusion" a Genesis thing, or Phil Collins solo? Either way, I loved that video as a kid. Especially the Ronald Reagan puppet in a superman outfit.

'Member how the Christian Bale character in American Psycho was obsessed with Genesis? 'Member how we had to watch that movie in The Dark Side class? 'Member how that one girl went undercover as an exotic dancer for some paper she wrote and it kinda totally had nothing to do with the actual assignment? I thought that was weird, double weird that Socha totally rolled with it. Maybe she was his private dancer.

Hench said...

Socha was totally weird. Prolly still is. I remember he always had white stuff on the side of his mouth, either from toothpaste or powdered donuts. And that girl is even weirder! I'm sure she was his private dancer, ew gross.

Wasn't Reese Witherspoon in that movie too?