February 12, 2007

Weekend Jaunt

My sister and I trekked down to NoVa/DC this weekend for no reason. Besides a very Supermarket-Sweepy trip to the Crate & Barrel outlet in Alexandria, and a lovely dinner with the Hench, my friend Dena took us on a special "staff" tour of the Capitol---which is exactly the same as the regular tour of the Capitol except you get to cut the line and you're not all bogged down by "facts" that a trained tour guide would give you. The best part of the Capitol is Statuary Hall, where you can stand on the spot where John Quincy Adams once had a desk and hear clear as day what your pal (or foe) waaaaay across the room is whispering.

Dena also brought us to see the statue above, The Awakening, in East Potomac Park. I totally am getting one of these when I win the Mega Millions for the front yard. Except maybe I'll have him clenching an old-timey looking burglar in his hand to ward off would-be B & E'ers.

4 comments:

Hench said...

This is a fab picture. I was thinking about taking my mom there, but now that I see it, I think it might frighten her.

Leslie said...

I went on the Capital tour with !Redacted! several (9)years ago. I think we stood with the group for a few moments and then fled for the Museums where we then took silly pictures in front of butter and an elephants butt.

One of these days I'll go and appreciate it for the civic monument that it is, but for now --- I'd rather take silly pictures on the exorcist steps and visit Georgetown Tattoo Parlors.

Hench said...

Did you actually read the Wikki entry? I want to see it when it is flooded! That would be super-cool. Plus you can climb on him, and in his mouth.

Templeton said...

I'm totally into art that you can climb on. Next time I'm in DC I'm gonna climb on that old man's face.