April 3, 2006

Teens are Scary


I was standing in line at Hot Topic the other day. (Yes, I know Hot Topic. What am I still doing going into Hot Topic?) As I stood there, ears bleeding from the intense moody sounds of Hawthorne Heights and H.I.M, I realized that there were in fact not one but two lines for one register. So trying to expedite my departure I ask the guy in front of me - Is this the line? He pulls his uni-bang off of his mascara covered eyelid and responds “Man (I’m not a man) I guess it is or I wouldn’t be standing here. His gaze shifts over me and returns back to his feet. I think - well jeeze don’t kill yourself I didn’t ask you to solve the sphinx’s riddle.

Man, if only Robert Smith were here. He’d save me.

As we stand, despite being there longer than the new comers - the dude in front of me continues to let people pass. I attempt to spur him on up to the counter and am greeted with a mix bag of ugly faces and glassy eyed greetings. After 5 people pass him, I say F*** this - I’ve already heard The Silence in Black and White 3 times and fear I my cut my ears off. As I begin to contemplate going all Van Gogh - I gather my super cute black converse and pass this emo chicken and the “gothic” girls wearing the huge baggie pants that have gathered in the speedy line. The cashier gave me no grief at all and just said, “these janks are f**ing hot!” I say - “they are pretty hot.” I make a joke about passing the emo kids and she’s says “Emo” is so over. It’s more about incompetant rebellion now. Incompetant (sp) rebellion??

(so is that abbreviated INCOREBELLO??) Cause I’ve probably been incorebello since 2nd grade..

I’m not advocating cutting in line or joking the morose habits of the rich enough to look poor teenagers. If you have enough money to buy hot topic clothes, then you should have enough to generate some friggin happiness for yourself. I guess it’s just sometimes measures have to be taken to get results. Standing around looking “moody” only makes you look f**ing weird. Not rebellious, not emo, but weird. I may not be as book smart as I was years ago, but I’m happiER dammit.

2 comments:

Carol Ann said...

Hench can attest, I was thisclose to actually entering Hot Topic this weekend to think about buying a shirt that says "You Looked Better on Myspace". But I didn't! Those bastards got enough of my money on punk compilation cds in the late 90's...

Anonymous said...

Kumbaya, my lawd, kumbaya.