August 27, 2012

Some of my favorite historical figures (and what I think they might have driven if modern vehicles were availble back then.)

Lincoln -- I think President Lincoln would drive a Honda Pilot. He would need a lot of leg room, and also room for his brood of boys. But I bet he would buy a cute little Volkswagen Beetle for Mary Lincoln to zip around in D.C. on the weekends.

Henry VIII -- In his prime I think King Henry would have driven something sporty and fast, like a Porsche Carrera GT (convertible, naturally). But somewhere between the death of Jane Seymour and that whole Anne of Cleves debacle, I think he would have added a Hummer to his fleet. Much easier to get in and out of with that damned leg ulcer.

Mary I -- Oh Bloody Mary. So pious, so proper, so...bland. Except when it came to executions. Nothing bland about burning people at the stake. Anyhoo, I think Queen Mary would probably have driven a Toyota Prius.

Elizabeth I -- King Henry's younger daughter might have driven something a little more flashy. Maybe a Lotus of some kind? An Elise S would probably suit her. After all, she never had kids so there would have been plenty of room for Her Majesty and Robert Dudley. C'mon, Gloriana, we all know you two had a thing going on.

John Smith -- 1965 Ford Mustang. Probably a fastback. Or, a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda. Classic "bad boy" cars.

Napoleon -- Mazda Miata. Hands down. Either that or a vehicle on the other end of the spectrum (size wise): A Ford Excursion.



2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm happy you are blogging again, if only because you (and select premium channel programming) are the only links I have to history education + coolness.

I'm thinking if tax analyzing doesn't pay out for you..there's a place for you as an educator.

Carol Ann said...

I think Abe would have driven a Lincoln Continental. Like mine. Lotsa leg room there.