May 1, 2009

WW - Week 2/3


I threw this graphic together to show the different before and after points values and habits and included Hungry, since he is with me all the time.

Before I joined WW, their “points” system seemed to be shrouded in secrecy. I tried counting calories, but calories aren’t always a true reflection alone of foods real value. Yeah, something might be a 100 calories, but if it’s only 100 cal for a 1/4 of a cup is it worth it? Especially if it takes 7 1/4 cups to fill you up? And what about fat? They don’t put the fat values on there for decoration.

So to un-shroud the mystery -


Based on your current weight, height, & lifestyle you are given a certain amount of points you are allowed to eat a day. You may earn additional points for rigorous exercise (and I do mean rigorous) and you are given 35 freebie points to use through the week. A slider tool that helps determine points values of food and you can purchase books that give the values of varying foods that you eat everyday.

Week one I adhered to my allotted points a day. I didn’t go over at all and I got 3.lbs lighter.

Week two wasn’t so stellar in terms of weight loss. (Okay..so there was Beerfest.)
I didn’t break the rules per se, but I didn’t adhere to a diet of lettuce leaves and carrot sticks either. It’s been the general consensus - that you should try to be learning how to eat better on the whole so that when the food goes away it’ll stay. Nothing lost, but nothing GAINED.

Some recent frustrations I’m having are:

1. I’m losing interest in SALAD. It’s 0 points. So in theory you can eat as much as you like, but at some point your appetite cries out Mercy! I’m not a rabbit.

2. Eating healthy is expensive, especially when you’re not used regularly grocery shopping. Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger=$99 cents. Grilled Chicken Sandwich=$3.23.

3. Exercise doesn’t burn quite as many points as it burns calories.

Some recent victories:
Looser pants! Woot! I have learned I can survive without Mt. Dew (gasp), that wheat bread isn’t the devil (Bobby Bouche), and that mustard is a pretty groovy topping.

No comments: