March 19, 2009

Twitter, Beastie Boys---Blog instead of Comment

I decided to blog instead of comment to Leslie's opus on her twitterized consciousness cos' I can get pretty wordy. I will probably contradict myself by getting bored with the topic and quitting after four sentences, but oh well.

I've also recently gotten into this Twitter thing. The only reason I did was cos my friend Jay Mohr was like "Facebook is played out, everyone's on Twitter anyway." He's on neither, but it sparked my interest. The only thing I remotely like about Facebook is posting nonsense statusii, so Twitter gives me "just tha yellas"*. I've had a few random people start "following" me, and I promptly blocked them, but for the most part it's alright. I follow Nightline's tweets b/c I am a super-nerd, and also have discovered through his tweets that ABC News' Dan Harris is an undercover indie rock enthusiast, which totally contradicts his stuffy poindexter on-air persona. Tho it makes me wonder if it's really him tweeting or some intern, secretly forwarding his own musical agenda whilst simultaneously making Dan Harris look like slightly less of a ding-dong. I will say, tho, if the news/media doesn't stop talking about Twitter and what it says about us and celebrities Twittering while they're on a talk-show couch & Diddy trying to influence my 140 characters I'm just going off it. There is no deep meaning.

In the summer of 1999 "Hello Nasty" WAS the best CD ever. Hench shared/shares (maybe still, not sure as we don't ride in the car together on the daily anymore) musical compulsion in that we'll just obsess over a cd or artist for like three months and not want to listen to anything else. There was a Weezer period (mostly Pinkerton), and of course a Ben Folds Five period, and a time for NOFX (as well as a general Fat Wreck fog). In more recent years I've fell into black holes named Kings of Leon, and definitely the White Stripes, M. Ward, and no matter how embarrasing, The Format.

**On some basketball bus trip in high school, my friend Kristy & I determined that yellow was the only worthwhile part of a candy-corn. We planned to launch our own candy-corn line called "Just tha yellas!" So, getting "just tha yellas" is taking only the best part of something. Dummies.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

In the summer of 99, I think I was still in my rap-rock phase. Limp Bizkit and Korn was the best music ever (yeah, I know not really). My brain wasn't seasoned enough yet to know that the best music Korn made was their early stuff and the best music Limp Bizkit made was probably their cover of Faith (George Michael's is still the best).

My musical black holes currently are Feist, Broken Social Scene, some Postal Service (or any of it's satellite affiliates) Massive Attack, Doves, and most most recently MGMT. I'm always running a few years behind on the trends.

Leslie said...

I remembered something else - there was a distinct Beck and Macy Gray phase in '99 too!
lol

Anonymous said...

Wow our Hello Nasty summer was in '99? Good grief.

Am I a total nerd for having my black hole be...CSPAN? (That is a rhetorical question, please.)

Christopher Walken's tweets are pretty awesome. Could be my new obsession.

Anonymous said...

Also, when all you listen to is CSPAN your brain forces you to have songs in your head to make up for the lack of musical input (or "inpoot"). Oddly enough, my brain has been choosing select Beastie Boys tracks:

'You should have never started
Something you couldn't finish
Cause writing rhymes to me
Is like Popeye to spinach"

b rendan said...

you just made me look up dan harris. ha!