February 16, 2009

Working on Presidents day..

Not much to report today or this weekend in general. I spent all day Saturday cleaning and shopping in preparation for “company” but by the time I was done cleaning and shopping AND cooking (around 7:30 p.m.) I found all I wanted to do was lay around. I wound up sending a “come on over text” shortly accompanied by a “nevermind” hail 20 minutes later. Ah, behold - the joys of 30. I was however, genuinely proud of myself for not getting caught up in the Valentine’s Day malaise that had seemingly overtaken a few of my friends.

On the “Leslie is a tool front” I avoided some craftily written V-Day text messages, but in avoiding those I missed some quality phone calls from my relatives just attempting to check in and send their love. I know it’s too late to make resolutions, but under my 2009 notes to self - I’m listing ANSWER YOUR DAMN PHONE as a priority.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was playing at Red Dog on Friday and Marcia said “I like this song, who sings this?” I say - “It’s Nirvana. It’s widely regarded as like the best alternative song every on every top 100 list - ya know..??.” I then drifted off to the moment where my cousin Tracy (14 years older than me) gave me Nevermind and said..”eh..I like Tesla better...just not my thing.” Ah Nirvana..always good stuff. Seriously Tray..Tesla? Cue my weird time-warp music.

I designed my own professionally printed business cards today. YAY. I’m getting more and more requests for pictures so I think this illo thing could become a reality. I’m trying to keep with my own advice: focus on the part I really want to do (the actual drawing) and keep the marketing stuff as a sidebar at the moment. As the illo part gets more stable I’ll refocus on the website stuff. The first on the “to-do” list is make sure Lavaponyland is work friendly - i.e. no more writing like a 12-year old. The second thing (which has been in the works for sometime) is figuring out a working pricing system. I’m not trying to break the bank, it feels silly to work for 16 hours on something and get paid with a ham. That is not an exaggeration, I’ve been paid in ham which is only one step up from meatballs in the hands (i.e. The Wedding Singer.)

I’m totally frustrated that it’s not EASIER to teach myself Dreamweaver. I’m peacing together FLASH one step and many late nights at a time. I can’t believe that POWERPOINT is actually more user friendly than Flash, but I remind myself that maybe my brain has become jello after years of working with jello. I need to graduate to flan and then a full-on steak.

Terry and LJ are at their Gramma’s this week and my house couldn’t be anymore quieter. Ain’t no sunshine when the toddlers are gone. I need some chaos stat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can come to my chaos of a house...lol. And yes, i think your brain has melted. You say powerpoint over flash!!! My gosh girlie...we need to save you!! lol. realy, if you need some tips or pointers, I can help ya. :)
Free yourself from the Microsoft World...hurry, before the black-hole sucks you in more...lol

Leslie said...

What are you doing Saturday?
LOL...If I could just get a start..