August 13, 2008

Ask a 20 year old..

One of my close friends has a 20 year old sister, who in turn has 20 a posse of 20 something friends. That attend TCC, VCU. and ODU respectively. I ran into one of the posse members at Macarthur and here is a rough draft of our exchange.

L: Hey B, how’s it going?
B: Good, bored here (at mall) stressing school.
L: You have a full course load?
B: Yeah, I’m taking alot of electives, my mom says I’m a professional student.
L: No problem with that! Stay in school forever, the job market stinks. (This has been my answer to any question regarding college since 2002).
B: You should go back.
L: Really? I’ve been thinking about it for awhile. (Now here I ask a rhetorical question, I walked right into this trap but my reasoning for college or not again would be an essay so I follow by saying:) Are you sure I’m not too old? - (29 to her fresh 20)

B looks uneasy. Moves back from me a few feet and says.

B: Well YOU MIGHT BE, there’s alot of younger folks at TCC.
L: Really?! Not any older people there just going to school to learn a trade or something?
B: No..not really. I mean you shouldn’t quit your job. I mean, YOU DON’T WANT TO BE ON WELFARE.

I capped only the words that I heard. Translation: OLD and UNEMPLOYABLE.

If you want support ask your mother, if you want what you “should” do ask your friends, BUT if you prefer an emotioinal kick in the junk then ask a 20 year old.

I think I will torment her by inviting her to Baxters and laughing when she’s not allowed in. I mean there’s alot of “OLDER” people at bars. She’d feel odd.

3 comments:

the cat is back said...

gosh leslie, you are so old!! lol. Man, i'm 28, and wow, 20 seems like soooo long ago. We are getting older, but i disagree with the 20-year-old statement. My CS classes at ODU had folks in there 40s and 50s in there, so there is hope for us "on the verge of bein old". We are young and kickin! Heck, I still play kickball and you are runnin! You still need to come out sometime to kickball. it sounds so funny seein a bunch of "older" folks runnin around kickin a big red ball.

Leslie said...

Thanks girl! There were like soccer mom's when I was 19 (1 billion years ago) at ODU. I remembered b/c they were allowed to turn their papers in late!! Rotten 20 year old.

Is there kickball right now? I may have to stop by and see you geriatrics in action, I have some icy hot - Can I play!! LOL

:)

the cat is back said...

we are having a practice this thurs at 6 at poplar if you want to come out and be silly. season starts in Sept...can't wait!